Counting To God

Home Forum Science and Philosophy Counting To God

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tom Murosky 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

admin
    Keymaster

My problem with those who argue for design is that they tend to make a big jump from design – which, as Ell shows, can be made in a systematic way, to assuming that once one has proven that there is a designer, assuming that the designer is a Christian God. One can also believe in design without believing in a single, benevolent, omnipotent God. In fact, while there is plenty of evidence for design, there is an equal amount of evidence against the idea of a God as Christians typically conceive. There could be multiple designers. Or the designers could be flawed, much as their creations are flawed. Or the designers could be evil.

Tom Murosky

As a Christian myself, I can support a little bit about the mission of the Institute for Creation Research and Answers in Genesis (the two largest creationism organizations), but at the same time, I think it is a moot point myself. If I am taking my God at face value, I believe that he created the world. My favorite verse on this topic is Hebrews 11:3 – By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible. This verse tells me that it is by faith that I believe in the creation of the world, not by facts produced by an institute. Does that mean I throw my brains away? Absolutely not, but I will not spend a lot of my time attempting to answer a non-scientific question with science.

Anonymous

Is it not throwing out your brain to not trying to determine the origin of the universe scientifically?

Tom Murosky

What I mean is that science is a systematic philosophy. Science is based on making a hypothesis, setting up an experiment to test that hypothesis. Creationism is not testable because we cannot set up an experiment to re-create the world based on different conditions. That is what I meant by a non-scientific question. I cannot possibly use science to determine the origin of the universe because we cannot create an experiment to re-create the universe under different circumstances. Beyond that, God Himself transcends the world that we are scientifically studying. He is like us probing a smaller system then we are in. Therefore, I will not attempt to scientifically answer a non-scientific question.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.